Saturday, September 21, 2013

Me? A Runner?

Dude. I never, EVER thought I could ever be what one would call "a runner." I've always (ALWAYS) struggled with my weight, and with my 4'10" frame, I've never had the stereotypical "runner's body." About a year and a half ago, however, I finally reached a point in my life where I was just...TIRED. I was tired of being overweight and stressed out. I was tired of watching my kids run around and not being able to keep up and play with them. I reached a point where I was just DONE and wanted to change. 
This is the point where I was introduced to ViSalus. I took the 90 Day Challenge and lost nearly 30 lbs. I stayed on the challenge for over a year and have a net loss of 40 lbs and over 20 inches. I gained a ton of energy and was working out every day. It was great...but I still wanted more. I wanted to be a runner! I wanted to run a 5K without dying. I didn't think it would ever happen. I walked my first 5K in May of this year (2013). It took me 50 minutes but with the company and support of my friend Rachael, I did it. That's when my desire to finally strep out of my comfort zone and start running finally kicked in. I went home and mapped out 1 mile in my neighborhood. 
It took a few days, but I finally got brave enough to try walking and running that mile. I didn't use any program (no smart phone app, no Couch25K)...just started walking. Then I added a few seconds here and there of running. I remember the day I finally ran the whole mile. Amazing feeling!
Over the summer I continued to run and train, and on July 27th, I ran every step of my first 5K. I was so proud of myself. :)
I continue to run any time I can. Running has become my therapy. It's a lot cheaper than antidepressants! It's my happy place. I can't say enough about how much better I feel after running a few miles. I am so glad I broke down all the mental barriers that were keeping me from beginning this journey toward becoming a RUNNER. 
That's me, in blue, crossing the finish line at my first 5K! :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to be on this journey with you! I love running and what it does for me physically and mentally and I know my friends and family are sick to death of hearing about it so thank GODDD for my new running buddy!

    ReplyDelete